For people who love camping, buying a caravan is like buying a new home. A caravan is the most prized possession of a camper. So, if you are one of those, and are planning to hire a caravan, you do your homework about buying a caravan. To save you all the trouble of looking around and gathering information, here is all you need to know before buying a caravan:
The first step is to decide whether you want a brand-new caravan or a second-hand one. There are several pros and cons of a second-hand caravan. The pros include that the second-hand caravan, is already used by the previous owner, the small internal gremlins would have already been sorted out and thus would be more comfortable. Also, the price depreciation is lower than a new caravan. But then, buying a second-hand caravan would restrict your choices as well as you are unable to get the desired layout. In a case of a new caravan, you can ask the manufacturer to modify the caravan according to your requirements and desires.
After deciding whether to buy a new or a second-hand caravan, you need to choose the type of caravan you want. There are 7 types of caravans to choose from. You can select the one that is most suitable to you.
- Regular Caravan: This is the most common kind. It is a caravan which is full-bodied and has 4 walls and a heightened roof with varying length and the number of axles range from one to three. The best feature of it is that it is suitable for any type of weather and is easy to set up night camps. Also, they have plenty of storage space as well as enough room to move about.
- Pop-out Caravan: This is the newer version of the regular caravans. It has the option of putting folded bunks which can be extended at the time of night camping. As the bed are foldable and are outside the van, there is a lot more space available. Apart from this, it has all the benefits of a regular caravan. But the setup does take a little time while setting up camp at any place.
- Tent Trailer: This type of caravan is suitable for people who own a small car which cannot pull the weight of a huge caravan. It is just a small pull out tent that along with a small trailer to store all your equipment and baggage.
- Camper Trailer: This is an improved version of the tent trailer. This one is also suitable for small cars. It is a trailer which turns into a caravan instead of a tent. Though it takes a longer time to set up like the tent trailer, it is the best option if you want something that is easy to tow. As it is compact, the storage space is limited as well.
- Pop-up Caravan: This one is like a normal caravan with a flexible roof which can go up and down to make it more aerodynamic. Its other benefits are that it weighs lighter than the regular caravans and is easy to store when not in use.
- Fifth-Wheelers: This caravan is the most luxurious one and is like a home away from home. With actual furniture and a lot of facilities, it is like a house on wheels. But so much comfort comes at a price and that is, it is really expensive.
- Motorhome: This is a home cum car in one. It is easy to set up and pack up. The only drawback is that you cannot detach it while camping. The drawback is that you carry you “home” to all the sightseeing spots and that can be really cumbersome.
After knowing about all the types, it’s time you narrowed down on the type of caravan you want before actually going out to buy a new caravan. It would be more preferable if, before buying a new caravan, you hire one of the same types you intend to buy and see if you are comfortable.