Plantation shutters are interesting visually. To ensure that their visual interest is not lost, they need to be maintained and cleaned on the regular basis. This way, they can last for several years. Maintaining aluminium plantation shutters is quite easy. Here are some tips and tricks that you can utilize for ensuring the longevity of the shutters.
Given below are some easy steps you can take to maintain your plantation shutters.
- Regular Cleaning: Cleaning the shutters on a regular basis is the easiest step you can take for ensuring its longevity. You can utilize several cleaning methods as discussed further. However, the most basic step you can take is to dust the louvers regularly with a duster or soft cloth.
- Understand the Parts: Shutters have several parts. You need to become familiar with those components. That is the first thing you need to do. Understanding these parts location and its functions will particularly help in its maintenance. Some parts used in shutters include louvers, shutter panel, tilt rod, and the stile.
- Avoid Using Tilt Rod For Louver Adjustment: In most cases, people end up using the tilt rod for fine-tuning the louvers when it comes to the adjustment of the shutters. However, this is a major mistake, as it can end up loosening the screws on each of the louvers of the shutter. Instead, you need to hold the shutter frame or stile along with a louver for moving it up or down. Make sure that you follow this process.
- Adjust Tension Screws: In some cases, you may find that the shutter is not operating smoothly. This might be due to the tension screws. These screws determine how tight or how loose the shutter is. By adjusting these screws, you can bring back the operation of the shutter to the desired condition.
Dusting the Shutter
Dusting is something that can be done every week due to its simplicity. You just require a few minutes. By dusting, you can decrease the accumulation of clumps and dirt on the aluminium plantation shutters. Feather dusters are the best option but soft cloth will also work. Choose microfiber cloth or lint-free cloth for cleaning the shutters. Make sure that the duster or the cloth is a clean one or you will simply be increasing the dirtiness of shutter instead of cleaning it. Regular dusting will prevent you from deep cleaning the shutter more often.
With time, you can notice clumps and dirt accumulating on the shutters resulting in the formation of unseemly spots. This can occur in spite of dusting. For this, you need to go one-step further to clean them. A damp cloth can be helpful. Take some distilled water and damp a cloth in it. Use the damp cloth to clean the spots. Avoid using sink water, as it may be harsh on the surface resulting in damage.
| Related Read: Factors And Tips to Choose the Right Outdoor Blinds |
In some cases, even distilled water is not enough. This is especially the case if the dirt deposits are tough. To overcome those deposits, use the following cleaning technique.
- Use a wet cloth or sponge to dislodge any loose deposits.
- For tougher deposits, create a mild solution of a household detergent. Use a cloth or a soft brush to get rid of them.
- Clean the shutters again with fresh clean water.
While cleaning aluminium plantation shutters, you must never use any abrasives such as scrapers or steel wool. They will permanently damage the coating of the shutters and reduce its durability. For the proper maintenance, create a cleaning schedule and stick to it.