A shutter can be used to cover either a door or a window. Window shutters are used for various reasons and purposes. A shutter controls the amount of sunlight entering a place or a room. It also prevents dust or rain from entering a room and protects against any other unwanted weather condition. It also provides security from external factors as well as a sense of privacy. Many times, a shutter is used to simply increase the appeal and look of a place or room.
- A window shutter is simply a solid covering for a window. It consists of a frame, horizontal rails and vertical stiles.
- Various frames are set with louvers, which are nothing, but the horizontal slats which are angled in such a way so as to admit light and air.
- These louvers also keep out noise, direct sun and rain. These can be fixed or adjustable. The frame of the shutters further consists of glass, fabric, solid panels as well as other items mounted within the frame.
How can you adjust and install window shutters?
Window shutters can either be fitted by mounting it on an opening or can be made to overlap an opening. This depends on the purpose or application of the shutter and also on the construction of the frame. Window shutters can be interior shutters or exterior shutters depending on whether they are used for defining the interior or the façade of your building.
The working mechanism of interior shutters:
- Interior shutters usually swing inwards and are hinged on either side of a window. Shutters with louvers that can be manually operated are called by various names like plantation shutters or California shutters, or traditional shutters.
- The slats or louvers of these shutters can be operated and rotated to control the inflow of light and air as per your need and want. If these shutters are made of hardwood, they also more, but you have to maintain them properly, and they are more costly. On the other hand, window shutters made of vinyl cost comparatively less.
- Other interior shutters are fixed and cannot be operated. These are also called stationary louvers. These are constituted of solid panels, which can be of fabric inserts or glass, can be flat or recessed or can be raised.
Further, shutters can be a single tier unit formed of one shutter from top to bottom, or can be multiple tiered units. The multiple tier units feature separate shutters and allows top and bottom shutters to be opened separately and independently. These are also called tier-on-tier shutters.
What are exterior shutters? How are they made?
Exterior shutters can be highly functional or non functional.
- Functional exterior shutters protect against unwanted and extreme weather and other negative elements. Board-and-batten shutters or solid panels are usually used for these purposes.
- These can be wood shutters or composite shutters. Hardwoods usually used for exterior shutters are Teak, Mahogany and Spanish cedar.
- These are more durable shutters than those made of softer woods like pine. Composite shutters are usually made of vinyl or fiberglass.
- Non-functional shutters on the other hand, are just used for their aesthetic appeal and to simply improve the appearance of any building.
Shutters need not be just manually operated with a strap or a handle. Interior shutters can be motorized which reduces the tediousness of handling them with the press of a button. Roller shutters, which are fully sealed, are usually used to prevent break-ins and insulate against noise and heat and extreme cold. Window shutters are more durable than blinds so you can count on their versatility. There are many online stores from where you can order for your favorite window shutters depending on your locality with stay connect with internet, and also the geographical condition and the precise use of the shutters.